Whether you’ve invested in hardwood flooring or laminate flooring, you work hard to keep your floors looking great. Naturally, the more proactive you are in caring for your hardwood floors and laminate floors, the better they’ll look. For the best results, start taking care of your hardwood floors and laminate floors from day one. You can even jot down on your calendar when you should do routine cleaning to ensure that dirty floors don’t get out of hand.
Eight Tips to Keep Hardwood Floors Clean and in Great Shape
It’s no secret that hardwood floors require special care, but that doesn’t mean that keeping them clean and in great shape is difficult. As with any flooring, keeping up with regular cleaning and attacking spills and dirt as soon as you notice them is key. Instead of stressing about your hardwood floors, simply remember to follow these eight guidelines:
- 1. Always wipe up spills promptly with a clean, soft cloth. Allowing spills to sit on your hardwood flooring can lead to warping and other damage.
- 2. Vacuum or sweep your hardwood floors regularly with a brush or felt vacuum head. If you use a vacuum, be sure that its wheels are clean and are free of debris that might scratch or damage your hardwood flooring.
- 3. Use a mist sprayer and good hardwood floor cleaner. Use a specialized cleaning tool with a clean, soft cotton head.
- 4. Use protective pads underneath furniture legs to minimize hardwood floor scratches.
- 5. Place throw rugs at entryways and by sinks to prevent traffic-related damage to your hardwood flooring.
- 6. Avoid using two-in-one cleaner and polish solutions that might contain acrylics or urethane that can damage the finish of your hardwood flooring.
- 7. Always clean hardwood floors in both directions to preserve their luster and protect their finish.
- 8. Trim you pet’s nails so that they don’t scratch or damage your hardwood floors.
Of course, if your hardwood flooring has already suffered from substantial damage or staining, you may need to call in a professional to help sand and refinish your floor.
Six Ways to Keep Laminate Floors Clean and Looking Great
Laminate flooring is preferred by many homeowners because it’s durable and easy to maintain. Keeping your laminate flooring clean and in great condition is a simple matter of completing regular cleaning tasks and carefully removing any stains. To keep your laminate floors in the best shape possible, follow these six guidelines:
- 1. Sweep, dust or vacuum your laminate floor regularly. If you use a vacuum, be sure to use a special attachment for hard surface flooring.
- 2. Use proper laminate flooring cleaner instead of liquid soaps, oils or other cleaners that might damage your flooring.
- 3. Wipe up all laminate floor spills as quickly as possible with a clean, damp cloth. Letting spills stand may cause staining or warping of your laminate floors.
- 4. Use acetone-based nail polish to clean off difficult spots and stains on your laminate flooring. Be sure to wipe up all acetone so that it doesn’t damage your laminate flooring.
- 5. Avoid using a steam cleaner on flooring as it may cause warping or otherwise damage your laminate flooring.
- 6. Trim your pet’s nails so that they don’t scratch or dent your laminate floors.
If you’re unsure of how you should tackle a stain, talk to a carpet and flooring pro. At S&G Carpet and More, we’re here to help clients throughout the greater Sacramento area choose beautiful flooring and keep it in great shape.