Choosing new carpet for your home is one of the easiest, most affordable ways to make over a space. With so many styles of carpet available, though, many homeowners find it tough to choose the right carpeting for their homes. Taking time to think through your needs and evaluate several different factors are key to picking carpeting that will provide for excellent service and durability.
Perhaps the most important factor you’ll need to weigh before choosing carpeting is carpet style. It’s important to think about the level of traffic in the area for which you’re picking carpeting before settling on a style. The most common styles of carpet available are:
- Plush, which is thick and soft with tightly twisted piles.
- Textured, which is made from fibers of different heights to help hide dirt and stains.
- Friezes, which are made from twisted, cut piles and are similar to plush styles but appear less formal to many.
- Berber, which is made from continuous loops and is both dense and flat.
- Saxony, which is considered the traditional style of carpeting for use in residential spaces and is similar to frieze or plush carpets.
Choosing the right color carpeting for your space requires taking the design and decor style of your home into consideration. Unless you plan to redecorate the entire area where the carpeting will be installed, you should be careful to choose a carpet that will complement your walls and furnishings. You can use a color wheel to find complementary color families. It’s also essential to try out carpeting samples or swatches in your home before making a final purchasing decision.
If you need help picking the right carpeting for your space, visit an S&G Carpet and More showroom or set up a free, shop-at-home appointment with one of our flooring consultants today.