Whether you’ve invested in hardwood or laminate, you work hard to keep your floors looking great. Naturally, the more proactive you are in caring for your floors, the better they’ll look. For the best results, start taking care of floor care from day one. You can even jot down on your calendar when you should do routine cleaning to ensure that dirty floors don’t get out of hand.
Seven Tips to Keep Hardwood Floors Clean and in Great Shape
It’s no secret that hardwood floors require special care, but that doesn’t mean that keeping them clean and in great shape is difficult. As with any flooring, keeping up with regular cleaning and attacking stains as soon as you notice them is key. Instead of stressing about your hardwood floors, simply remember to follow these seven guidelines:
- Always wipe up spills promptly with a clean, soft cloth. Allowing spills to sit on your hardwood flooring can lead to warping and other damage.
- Vacuum or sweep your floors regularly with a brush or felt vacuum head. If you use a vacuum, be sure that its wheels are clean and are free of debris that might scratch or damage your flooring.
- Use a mist sprayer and Bona hardwood floor cleaner. Use a specialized cleaning tool with a clean, soft cotton head.
- Use protective pads underneath furniture legs to minimize scratches.
- Place throw rugs at entryways and by sinks to prevent traffic-related damage to your flooring.
- Avoid using two-in-one cleaner and polish solutions that might contain acrylics or urethane that can damage the finish of your flooring.
- Always clean hardwood floors in both directions to preserve their luster and protect their finish.
Of course, if your flooring has already suffered from substantial damage or staining, you may need to call in a professional to help sand and refinish your floor.